The Health Benefits of Mango
There comes a time when we all become health conscious and if you are a mango lover, then it’s important to know the health benefits that a mango can give you.
Mangoes are tropical fruits that are enjoyed all over the world that have a lot of benefits. Mangoes are tasty to eat and are healthy as well. Nutrients present in mangoes are proteins, carbohydrates, fats, dietary fibres, Copper, Vitamin A, B, C, K, E, folate, Niacin, Potassium, Riboflavin, Manganese, Thiamine, Magnesium and small amounts of phosphorus, calcium, iron, selenium and pantothenic acid.
Well, let’s come to the topic and see what mango has to offer us in terms of its benefits.
The Health Benefits of Mango
Mangoes can help in fighting cancer
Mangoes contain polyphenols, which are compounds present in plants that function as antioxidants. Antioxidants are important as they protect cells from radical damage; radicals are highly reactive and can damage the cells. The antioxidants present in mangoes are quercetin, fisetin, isoquercitrin, astragalin, gallic acid, and methyl gallate. These antioxidants protect our body from breast cancer, colon cancer, prostate cancer, and leukaemia.
Maintains a low cholesterol level and regulate Diabetes
Mangoes are rich in Vitamin C, fibre and pectin, making it a perfect fruit which helps in controlling high cholesterol level.
Eating mango leaves can regulate diabetes. People who have diabetes should boil 5-6 mango leaves in a vessel, soak it overnight and drink the mixture after filtration early in the morning. Mango has a low glycemic index, so eating mango will not increase your blood sugar level.
Lose your weight and improve digestive health by mango
Mango contains a lot of vitamins and essential nutrients that eating a mango makes you feel full. As it has fibrous content, it boosts the digestive function and burns the unwanted calories from the body. It is, therefore, helping you to lose weight.
The enzymes present in mango helps in the breakdown of the proteins in the body. Mangoes contain the digestive group of enzymes called amylases. Amylases break down complex carbohydrates into sugars like glucose and maltose. Enriched with fibre, mangoes help in digestion and to prevent stomach related diseases.
Strengthen your Immune system
Mangoes contain Vitamins A and C and different types of carotenoids. Vitamin A helps to fight infections. Vitamin C helps the body to produce more disease-fighting white blood cells, and hence improve the skin’s defences. Mango contains folate, Vitamin K, E and several other B vitamins too. All these nutrients keep the immune system strong and healthy.
Some other health benefits that you can get from a mango:
- Mango is also known as the ‘love fruit’. It has aphrodisiac qualities that increase virility in men. Mangoes make you enhance your love and passion.
- Mangoes are loaded with Vitamin A, which makes it a perfect fruit to improve your eyesight. It keeps your eyes healthy and prevents night blindness and dry eyes. The antioxidants present in mango accumulate in the retina acting as sunblock, hence protecting the eye from the harmful blue light. Mango even prevents age-related loss of vision.
- This summer fruit helps to prevent heatstroke. Eating mangoes cool you down instantly and refreshes you and lets you stay cool during summer.
- The high content of iron in mangoes is a natural remedy for anaemia. Women should have more mangoes to increase the iron and calcium content in the body. Eating mangoes regularly helps to increase the healthy red blood cells in your body that helps in carrying oxygen to the body’s tissues and other parts. Mango contains all the necessary nutrients and vitamins required for a healthy pregnancy and also acts as a tasty supplement.
- Mangoes help in improving concentration and boosting your memory.
- Magnesium and Potassium present in mangoes help to maintain a healthy pulse and relax the blood vessels, thereby promoting lower blood pressure levels.
- Eating mangoes clean your skin from deep inside your body. It treats pores and gives a glow to the skin. It makes your skin flawless. You can also use mangoes as a body scrub. Vitamin A in mangoes migrate into the skin and protects it from the sun, and Vitamin C in mangoes is essential for making collagen, which gives skin the bounce and prevents wrinkles.
- Mangoes are enriched with tartaric and malic acid and have traces of citric acid that helps in maintaining the alkali reserve of the body.
Mangoes can be enjoyed in different ways. It is the king of fruits. They can be eaten at any time during the day for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Mango is a versatile fruit and can be used for fruit salads, mango salsa, pickles, jams, and many more. However, it contains more sugars than other fruits so you should limit the intake. If you are looking for a way to boost your health with healthy eating, you should definitely think about including mango in your diet.